Breathing Better Is The Main Goal Of Asthma Control
If we, as asthmatics, want to breathe better, it stands to reason that we might need to actually practice better breathing. This can involve practicing a number of different things.
First, how often do you breathe through your mouth? Mouth breathing was one of the biggest single triggers for my asthma. Especially at night. I used to wake up all the time with trouble breathing multiple times every night.
When I made a conscious effort to stop mouth breathing at ALL times during the day, I noticed a huge change for the better in my asthma. I even went as far as to put medical tape over my mouth at night, to teach my jaw to stay shut while I sleep. I know it sounds weird I explain it here.
Another major plank in my breathing strategy is conscious breathing technques, specifically some of those mentioned by the Buteyko methodology. There are other methods, but I like Buteyko because it emphasizes breathing through the nose at all times. It also offers exercises to slowly build back your lung strength and capacity.
What Are Natural Remedies For Asthma
With all the studies on alternative medicine and natural remedies, you may wonder if thereâs a natural cure for asthma. Unfortunately, there is no cure for asthma at this point. In fact, you should avoid any treatment or product — natural or otherwise — that claims to be a “cure” for asthma.
Some natural therapies may help you manage symptoms of asthma. For instance, a negative response to emotional stress can cause an asthma attack. Some natural relaxation remedies like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, and biofeedback can help relieve stress.
Other findings suggest that diet plays a role in easing asthma symptoms. For example, omega-3 fatty acids found naturally in high-fat fish like salmon, mackerel, and cod may help your body fight inflammation. Whether this may help people who have asthma is still unproven.
Medical Treatment For Asthma
Medications to treat asthma can be aimed at providing quick relief or controlling the condition in the long term. Also, immunotherapy is advised to prevent a flare-up of allergies that can trigger an asthma attack. The treatment method and drug dosages may differ between adults and children .
The medications for asthma fall in the category of bronchodilators. These are administered in the form of an inhaler, nebulizer, and pills. The inhaler is a pump that can be used as an immediate rescue in the event of an attack as it lets the bronchodilator enter your lungs through the oral route as you inhale.
The mode of action is expanding the narrowed airways of the lungs to smoothen the flow of air and facilitate easy breathing. In addition, bronchodilators play a role in clearing away mucus and allowing its free movement, preventing obstruction that may be a hindrance in breathing.
Also Check: How To Overcome Exercise Induced Asthma
Conclusion: Widely Used Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients From Natural Source
As previously demonstrated, natural products have been extensively used as a complementary treatment for asthma therapy. Studies concerning these products have aimed at investigating their activity as a matrix of compounds to complement or replace current asthma treatment, while others aim at isolating compounds to generate new medicines based on synthetic drugs of natural origin .
Historically, natural products have contributed tremendously to the development of marketable medicines to the treatment of several diseases . The evaluation of their therapeutic activities and identification and isolation of their bioactive molecules allowed not only their clinical use, but also the discovery of the pharmacophore groups and the radicals responsible for their toxicity or their biopharmaceutics aspects. In fact, based on such studies, it is possible to perform structural or delivery changes on these compounds that would increase their safety or would be able to module their half-life allowing to target them to specific action sites .
Furthermore, sodium cromoglycate, a drug obtained from the khellin bioactive extracted from Ammi visnaga Lamk, has been used as a bronchodilator based on its ability of inhibiting mast cell degranulation, which enabled its use on the asthma treatment .
The Importance Of Self
Asthma is a chronic condition, which means that there is no cure. However, people can often manage the condition with a combination of daily and rescue medications.
Moreover, self-care is important for people with asthma. Individual responsibility and action are essential for the prevention of asthma attacks.
In combination with a medically sound asthma action plan, home remedies for asthma can be very helpful and play an important role in keeping the condition under control.
Recommended Reading: Is Asthma A Medical Condition
Preventing An Asthma Flare
Although asthma is incurable, you can prevent an impending asthma attack by following certain measures, including the following:
- Identify your asthma triggers and avoid them. Steer clear of allergens, irritants, and pollutants in the air and respiratory infections.
- Pet dander, scales from the skin, hair, feathers, and dried urine or saliva can aggravate your allergies. Keep your pet at a distance if you have a pet allergy.
- Disinfect your house regularly. Mold growth can be a reason for an allergy flare-up. It has been observed that Aspergillus fumigatus was present in patients with severe asthma.
- Wash your bedding and clothing regularly. Keep your house dirt-free.
- Keep track of the weather conditions before going out to avoid contracting an allergy.
- Get yourself administered with flu and allergy shots to prevent a flare-up of symptoms.
- Install a humidifier and air purifier in your room.
- Quit smoking and avoid exposure to passive smoke.
Cbd Fights Asthma Related Inflammation
This method for controlling asthma symptoms is probably one of the least talked about, but its also one of the most effective.
Cannabidiol, or CBD comes from the hemp plant and it has amazing bronchodilatory and anti-spasmodic properties. Over time and with the right dosage, its possible to see a great reduction in the severity of your asthma symptoms by taking a CBD supplement every day.
CBD treats inflammation naturally, including the kinds asthmatics suffer from. There are dozens of scientific studies from real health boards that attest to its MANY health benefits.
Use code treatasthma for 10% off your entire purchase at Direct Hemp. This code does not expire.
I take between 20-40mg of CBD a day either in an oil tincture or as an isolate powder . And Ive been amazed at the results. In fact, I havent experienced any real asthma symptoms in the many months Ive been taking it.
If youve done the research and are ready to take the plunge, then I recommend buying from a reputable distributor like Direct Hemp. Thats because their products are high quality, reasonably price and this is key they are third party lab tested. One of the main risks with CBD is that there are lots of new unscrupulous companies out there, even ones that label products CBD that have no CBD in them. With Pure Spectrum, you can be sure youre getting the real, asthma-fighting deal.
You May Like: Can You Buy Asthma Inhalers Over The Counter
Home Remedies For Children With Asthma
As a parent, you probably want to do anything and everything you can to keep your childs asthma from interfering with their life. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to help your child manage their asthma symptoms.
- Your child spends around eight hours each night in bed, so asthma triggers there can really aggravate symptoms. You can use zippered dust mite covers for pillows and mattresses to help keep allergens from permeating their bedding. Additionally, washing bedding in hot water once a week can help reduce nighttime allergen exposure.
- Being mindful about outdoor time can help reduce exposure to asthma triggers, such as pollen and industrial pollution. Monitoring the Air Quality Index on AirNow can help you decide whether it is a good day for your child to play outside. Any AQI rating above 100 is likely to be unhealthy for children with asthma.
- Make sure that your childs school has an asthma action plan and that all supervisors know how to react if your child starts to show signs of an asthma attack. This includes outlining the specifics of your childs asthma treatment medicines.
Written byCatherine Poslusny
Common Symptoms Of Asthma:
Asthma is a common illness that can lead to severe issues with the respiratory system and potentially cause life-threatening situations.
Typical symptoms of asthma include:
- Viral infections
Due to the onset of asthmatic episodes, health practitioners often recommend several avoidance techniques that can improve the quality of life for those with asthma.
Some of these techniques include:
- Using allergen-impermeable covers for bedding
- Keeping the humidity in the house below 50% to prevent mite growth
- Limiting time spent outside when pollen is at its peak
- Removing pets from the home
- Cleaning with fungicides
- Using high-efficiency particulate air filters
Both modern medical care and avoidance techniques can significantly impact asthma symptoms and episodes. Applying the use of herbs and natural remedies for asthma symptoms may result in active and preventative benefits.
You May Like: Can Asthma Cause Dry Mouth
Using Herbs For Asthma
Asthma is thought to be a “misfiring” of the immune system, somewhat comparable to allergies. An immune reaction is set off by a trigger that induces inflammation and irritation in the respiratory tract, which go on to cause the other familiar symptoms of an asthma attack.
Because asthma has many different factors that contribute to the condition and because everyone suffers from it in a slightly different way, there’s no single herb that can address it in every case.
Some of the most helpful herbs are those that calm inflammation, specifically inflamed tissues in the respiratory tract, those that generally support lung health, and those that soothe acute irritation.
As you explore these herbs, you may end up finding them most useful when used in a formula, but it’s not a bad idea to start with one herb at a time so that you can see how your body reacts.
Also, keep in mind that herbs are not a replacement for medication, particularly not when you are having an acute asthma attack.
Is It Safe To Use Complementary And Alternative Asthma Treatments
Most people think of herbs as being natural and therefore safe to take. However, many herbs have not been thoroughly tested, and the FDA does not regulate them. This means that the purity and amount of herb in each doseand therefore its safetycannot be guaranteed.
Some herbs used to treat asthma have been found to interact with other medicines. For example, Gingko biloba, used to decrease inflammation in the lungs, could cause bleeding problems in people who are also taking the blood thinner warfarin . Licorice root, used to soothe the lungs of asthmatics, can increase blood pressure. Ephedra has been used as a bronchodilator but has also been linked to some unexplained deaths.
It is very important that you always inform your doctor if you are taking any herbs or dietary supplements. Some herbs may worsen your asthma or other medical condition, or they may interfere with prescribed medicines you are taking.
Also Talk To Your Doctor About Herbal Remedy For Asthma Treatments Including:
- Ma Huang , Coleus Forskholii, Lobelia, Reishi mushroom, and Glycyrriza . Ma Huang should only be used under the supervision of a physician as it may cause an increased heart rate and/or irritability. It acts as a bronchodilator to open constricted airways.
- Coleus Forshkholii contains the active ingredient forskolin, which also acts as a bronchodilator. It is to be avoided if the individual with asthma is also on anticoagulant medication or on medication for high blood pressure.
- Lobelia is another powerful but potentially toxic herbal medicine. It should be used in small doses and under the care of a knowledgeable herbalist and/or physician. Lobelia should not be used by individuals with high blood or known heart disease.
- Reishi mushroom is a strong anti-inflammatory and immune building herb. In Chinese medicine, Reishi is reported to help strengthen the lungs. If you can find whole Reishi mushrooms, they can be used in foods otherwise you can use Reishi in the form of a concentrated herbal tincture.
- Glycyrriza helps soothe the respiratory passages and also helps to balance and strengthen the adrenal glands. This herb should also not be used by individuals with high blood pressure.
None of the herbs mentioned here should be used by pregnant or nursing women.
What Causes Cat Asthma
Doctors arent sure what causes asthma at this point, but they believe it comes from a combination of genetic factors and allergens. As you might have guessed by the name, allergens are substances that cause allergic reactions. They can cause inflammation in the throat, leading to respiratory issues.
Here are some common allergens for cats:
If you think your cat has an allergy, its a good idea to take them to a vet. The vet can perform tests to determine what allergens affect your cat. They can also prescribe medication to manage the allergy and avoid future issues.
Genetic factors may also contribute to asthma. Certain breeds, especially the Siamese and Himalayan. Its unclear why this is, and further research will be necessary to determine the full range of risk factors. Asthma affects both feline genders equally and typically develops between the ages of 2 and 8.
Also Check: How To Check For Asthma
The Best Home Remedy For An Asthma Attack
If youre one of the roughly 25 million people who have been diagnosed with asthma, its only natural that youd want to seek out home remedies to help you manage your condition on your own. This respiratory illness can interfere with daily activities and there is no cure known. So whats a sufferer to do?
If you do a quick internet search for ways to treat your asthma on your own, youll find no shortage of solutions for sale. Some may help slightly, others are little more than snake oil remedies. Because asthma can be a very serious, life-threatening illness, its really best to seek qualified medical help rather than attempting to handle your condition on your own.
Make Changes To Your Diet
There is no specific diet for asthma patients but the exclusion and inclusion of a few elements in your diet can make a considerable change. Being overweight has been known to affect and trigger asthma symptoms. Include lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet. To reduce the inflammation around your airways, consider sources rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and beta-carotene. Omega 3 found in salmons, mackerels are also known to help with inflammation. If any particular food seems to make your symptoms much worse, make a note and avoid consuming it.
Also Check: What Famous Athletes Have Asthma
Difference Between Asthma And Bronchitis
Bronchitis refers to inflammation and reddening in the lining of the breathing tubes that connect the lungs to the windpipe. The swelling may increase mucus production in the tubes, resulting in a cough.
On the other hand, asthma affects the flow of air to the lungs and is caused by hypersensitivity of the airways to irritants such as mold, dust mites, and smoke.
Foods And Dietary Supplements
Eating an overall healthful diet may be helpful for asthma and there are certain foods and supplements with potential to offer additional support. Whenever possible, opt for food sources of nutrients since supplements are largely unregulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration . They haven’t been tested for safety and it’s hard to know if the dosage and contents are consistent with the product label. Always discuss supplements with your physician since some are known to interact with medications.
Also, keep in mind that the safety of supplements in pregnant women, nursing mothers, children, and those with medical conditions has not been established.
When buying supplements, look for those certified by ConsumerLabs, The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, or NSF International. It won’t guarantee that a product is safe or effective, but it ensures that there is some testing for quality.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Know If You Have Sports Induced Asthma
Provide The Ideal Humidity For Your Cat
Overly humid air can lead to mold growing in your home, introducing a major allergen into your cats environment. A dehumidifier reduces the moisture level in the air, but you should only use it in spurts. Overly dry air can irritate asthmatic cats. If the air in your home is humid, run the dehumidifier for a couple of hours at a time, but not round the clock.
How Do I Know Which Products Are Safe
Because most alternative and complementary treatments are not regulated, it is difficult to know what you are getting. Here are some tips to follow when considering using alternative treatments.
- Talk to your doctor about any herbal products you are considering before trying them.
- If you experience side effects such as nausea, vomiting, rapid heartbeat, anxiety, insomnia, diarrhea, or skin rashes, stop taking the herbal product and notify your doctor.
- Avoid preparations made with more than one herb.
- Beware of commercial claims of what herbal products can do. Look for scientific-based sources of information.
- Select brands carefully. Only purchase brands that list the herb’s common and scientific name, the name and address of the manufacturer, a batch and lot number, expiration date, dosage guidelines, and potential side effects.
Also Check: Do Air Purifiers Help With Asthma
What Is Causing Your Asthma Symptoms
If you have asthma, you are probably all-too familiar with the symptoms: difficulty breathing, chest tightness, wheezing, shortness of breath, and coughing at night, while laughing, or during exercise. Being exposed to certain triggers can increase the frequency or severity of these symptoms. While everyones asthma triggers are different, the CDC lists the following as some of the most common culprits:
- Tobacco smoke and smoke from burning grass or wood
- Dust mites and cockroaches
- High-humidity weather and cold, dry air
- Strong emotion that leads to hyperventilation
Most people use quick-relief medications, such as inhalers, to treat asthma attacks. Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may have prescribed regular medication to help reduce daily airway inflammation. In the following section, we take a look at various natural remedies for asthma symptoms. However, it is important to note that these remedies are only meant to complement your current asthma treatment plan. You should not stop taking prescribed asthma medicine without talking with your doctor.