Breathe Easier Right Now
When an asthma attack comes on, stay calm. Panic can make your symptoms worse. Help yourself along with this visualization trick: Close your eyes. As you inhale, see your lungs expand and fill with white light, and feel your breathing become easier. Repeat this exercise twice more, then open your eyes.
In a pinch, have a strong cup of coffee or two 355-mL cans of caffeinated cola. Caffeine is chemically related to theophylline, a standard medication for asthma. It helps open airways.
Manage Your Cats Weight
If your cat is overweight or obese, respiratory function can be compromised.3 For a cat with asthma, this is especially problematic.
Helping your cat achieve a healthy weight is important for respiratory health and to lower the risk of asthma attacks. Ask your vet for suggestions for managing your cats weight. Some strategies your vet suggests may include:
- Feeding your cat a smaller amount of food
- Feeding your cat a specially formulated food to promote weight loss
- Setting aside time for dedicated play to encourage exercise4
Foods And Dietary Supplements
Eating an overall healthful diet may be helpful for asthma and there are certain foods and supplements with potential to offer additional support. Whenever possible, opt for food sources of nutrients since supplements are largely unregulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration . They havent been tested for safety and its hard to know if the dosage and contents are consistent with the product label. Always discuss supplements with your physician since some are known to interact with medications.
Also, keep in mind that the safety of supplements in pregnant women, nursing mothers, children, and those with medical conditions has not been established.
When buying supplements, look for those certified by ConsumerLabs, The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, or NSF International. It wont guarantee that a product is safe or effective, but it ensures that there is some testing for quality.
Recommended Reading: Can Inhaled Steroids Cause Weight Gain
Effective Ways To Treat Asthma At Home
In people with asthma, the airways become narrow and produce a lot of mucus. It triggers difficulty in breathing, wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath. Several factors can increase the risk of suffering from asthma. Some of the risk factors include having a blood relative with asthma, smoking, being overweight, and passive smoking. For some people, asthma doesnt pose many problems. However, there are others who suffer from asthma attacks.
Are you tired of having to latch on to your inhaler and your asthma medications? Do not let them go just yet. Make a few changes to your lifestyle see your symptoms ease up a lot.
10 Home Remedies for Asthma are:
Of : Taking Medications
Read Also: Ways To Treat Asthma Without An Inhaler
Of : Identifying Your Asthma Triggers
Figs As An Asthma Remedy
Figs are another potent among home remedies for asthma and other respiratory problems. Figs are quite nutritious, they helps to boost your respiratory health fast. Figs also helps to drain phlegm and improve breathing process. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Figs:
- Soak 3-4 dried figs in a cup of water for overnight.
- In the morning, take these figs out and eat them.
- Drink the water in which figs were soaked.
- Remember to eat and drink it on an empty stomach.
- Do this every morning for a few months to get rid of asthma naturally.
You May Like: What Happens If You Smoke Weed With Asthma
Contact Doctor During Office Hours
- Don’t have written asthma action plan from your doctor
- Use an inhaler, but don’t have a spacer
- Miss more than 1 day of school per month for asthma
- Asthma limits exercise or sports
- Asthma attacks wake child up from sleep
- Use more than 1 inhaler per month
- No asthma check-up in more than 1 year
- You have other questions or concerns
Eucalyptus Oil For Quick Asthma Relief
An excellent treatment for Asthma Symptoms is Pure Eucalyptus Oil due to its decongestant properties. Studies prove that the chemical called Eucalyptol in this oil can break up mucus and treats Asthma quickly. Also, Eucalyptus oil reduces pain and inflammation by blocking the chemicals which cause Asthma. This oil gives fast relief from Asthma better than the over the counter Asthma Inhaler. So, use this natural medicine for Asthma Treatment at home.
How to treat Asthma at home using Eucalyptus oil?
Read Also: Can You Join The Army If You Have Asthma
Healthy Tips And Diet For Asthma Patients
- Avoid cold and damp places.
- Go for morning and evening walk for at least 30 minutes.
- Avoid tobacco, wine, smoking, overeating.
- Keep rooms well ventilated.
- Avoid perfumes, incense sticks, mosquito repellants.
- Drink plenty of water is the best natural treatment of Asthma.
- Avoid excessive exercise and indulgence in sex.
- Eat foods with omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in fish like salmon, sardines and some plant sources like, flaxseed- are believed to have a number of health benefits.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Yoga improves the strength, flexibility, and capacity of the lungs, the three necessary components of overall fitness. Yoga therapy improves lung functions and reduces the frequency of exacerbations. It emphasizes conscious breathing and includes relaxation.
- Medication has beneficial effects on personality, emotions, and psyche. After medication, the asthmatic person can learn to come to a place of peace and stillness.
- Postures recommended for bronchial asthma are: Shirshasana, Dhanurasana, Chakarasana, Bhujangasana, Supta vajrasana are highly beneficial in asthma condition.
- Avoid reckless over-the-counter asthma medication as much as possible
What Are The Causes Of Bronchitis
Causes of Acute Bronchitis: Bronchitis is inflammation and swelling in bronchial tubes which are caused by bacteria or viruses other allergic particles. Acute bronchitis can be caused by a contagious virus. It can be spread by others when they cough, or by their touch.
Causes of Chronic Bronchitis: Chronic bronchitis can occur because of damaged lung and airway tissue. The main causes of chronic bronchitis are smoking and other causes that can be exposed to air pollution for a long period of time and have acute bronchitis again and again.
You May Like: Does Weight Gain Make Asthma Worse
Vaping And Lung Damage
- Talk with your teen about the dangers of vaping.
- Vaping can cause severe lung damage. It can become permanent.
- Vaping can even cause death .
- Vaping tobacco also causes nicotine addiction.
- For these reasons, the legal age to purchase vaping products is 21 in the US.
- Encourage your teen to not start vaping or to give it up.
- Warning: home-made or street-purchased vaping solutions are the most dangerous.
Using A Natural Remedy Arsenal For Asthma
Asthma symptoms are a nuisance at best and dangerous at worse. Luckily there are some natural remedies for asthma that can help you prevent the onset of asthma symptoms for you or your child, and make daily life more enjoyable.
Do you or a family member suffer from asthma? What remedies work best for you?
Don’t Miss: Can You Overdose On An Inhaler
What Are The Types Of Bronchitis
There are two types of Bronchitis.
How Do You Get Bronchitis And Is It Contagious
Acute Bronchitis can occur due to respiratory infection, flu, or cold. Acute bronchitis is a contagious health problem because it is caused by viruses and bacteria which are contagious in nature.
You can catch bronchitis from someone who has it. Acute Bronchitis can spread from person to person by touching their hand, nose, and sometimes while kissing bacteria can be transferred. It can be contagious for a week depending on the type of virus.
Chronic bronchitis occurs because of smoking and this is a serious type. It is not a contagious type of bronchitis.
You May Like: Can You Randomly Develop Asthma
Take A Fish Oil Supplement
Omega-3 fatty acids, the main ingredient in fish oil, are known to have anti-inflammatory properties, and that appears to make a difference for people with asthma, according to a 2018 study published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.
Researchers tested 135 children with asthma and found that those who had the highest intake of Omega-3s had the fewest asthma symptoms.
Practicing Buteyko Breathing Technique
This is also a system of breathing exercises. Buteyko Breathing Technique focuses on breathing out through the nose and not the mouth. Breathing out through the mouth can dry up the mouth and the airways very fast resulting in more problems. Practising and using BBT also makes you less prone to suffering from respiratory infections. Buteyko Breathing Technique can also be instrumental in decreasing your asthma symptoms with the help of slow and gentle breathing through the nose.
Read Also: What Happens If You Smoke Weed With Asthma
Treatment Of Asthma With Home Remedies
Asthma acts as a jolt towards the growth of a kid and it is unfortunate for the kid to face such medical conditions. It is advisable to see a physician if the child is diagnosed with asthma. But along with the prescribed medicines, the following home remedies can put the disorder at peace. These are some of the natural home remedies that one should try for the relief of an asthmatic child.
- Sauna Bath: Sauna Bath can help open the nasal as well as chest congestion.
- Garlic: Garlic with its anti-inflammatory properties can bring relief to asthmatic conditions.
- Ginger: Ginger is again beneficial for chest congestion and tightness.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has anti-allergic properties and is found to be safe for children suffering from asthma.
- Honey: Honey relaxes the irritation in the throat. Asthmatic kids can intake honey and warm water mixture for relief.
When Home Remedies Arent Enough
Should you call your doctor? Yes, if you develop asthma symptoms for the first time. If youre already being treated for asthma, you probably have medication that you take at the onset of an episode. Even so, Get someone to take you to the emergency room if you cant speak without gasping for breath, develop a bluish cast to your face or lips, find it extremely difficult to breathe, or become confused or exhausted.
Read Also: Can Asthma Symptoms Last For Weeks
Natural Remedies Lacking Evidence To Show They Help With Asthma
There are many other natural remedies that some people with asthma swear by, but which science doesn’t support. Some include:
Herbal medicines A number of herbs or herbal supplements have been touted as natural remedies for asthma, but according to Hill, theres no strong evidence of their benefit for people with asthma. I, as a provider, would not be telling my patients to try any specific herbal supplements, Hill says.
Vitamin C No solid evidence supports using vitamin C for asthma, says Hill. Wright agrees, noting that more studies are needed before doctors should recommend this approach.
Warm steam baths While warm steam baths have often been used to help alleviate nasal congestion and airway irritation associated with asthma, Peters points out there’s never been a study that proves steam treatments help asthma symptoms. She also cautions that steam can be dangerously hot. “In some asthmatics, it can exacerbate symptoms,” she says.
Chiropractic work According to the Mayo Clinic, the most thorough research rejects the idea that chiropractic work can be an effective asthma treatment.
Essential oils Human-based studies in support of essential oils are lacking, and essential oils may even be trigger allergic reactions. I would be careful with taking essential oils, as these can often be irritating rather than soothing, says Cassidy Gundersen, PhD, a nutrition consultant and health coach based in Salt Lake City.
How Do Healthcare Providers Diagnose Asthma
Your healthcare provider will review your medical history, including information about your parents and siblings. Your provider will also ask you about your symptoms. Your provider will need to know any history of allergies, eczema and other lung diseases.
Also Check: What Does Asthma Do To You
Using The Papworth Method
The Papworth method has been used since 1960 to help people with asthma. It is a type of breathing and relaxation technique. It makes use of the nose and diaphragm to develop breathing patterns that will suit the asthma patient. These breathing patterns can then be used while engaging in activities that can possibly flare up your asthma. Papworth method is a way of controlling over-breathing that is basically rapid and shallow breaths taken at the top of the chest.
Importance Of Air Purifier
Last but not the least, out of everything listed above, pure and fresh air is of the utmost importance for a child suffering from asthma. However, with pollution increasing day by day, breathing fresh air has become a hard nut to crack.
Well, not this time, because with air purifiers present in the market one can re-establish the right to breathe fresh and clean air. An air purifier works actively in lessening the pollutants in the air. In case one is suffering from any allergy or asthma, such pollutants in the air can worsen the condition. Air Purifiers remove smoke, dust, pollutant, and pollen from the air. And if in case you have a pet at home, air purifiers even remove pet dander from the air. In short, the absence of air purifiers will lead you to breathe air full of dust and germs, and hence it can be life-threatening too. These purifiers also leave your abode odour free, making the indoor space practically breathable.
But where will you keep searching for these godsend inventions? Well, here comes KENT with a huge range of air purifiers. So that you and your child can breathe fresh, clean and the purest air.
To know more, visit:
Don’t Miss: Can Asthma Symptoms Last For Weeks
How Long Does Asthma Last
Since asthma is incurable, its course varies among individuals. If properly treated, children may get relief from intermittent asthma, or the condition may subside to a certain degree.
The disease can either progress with age or become less frequent if caused by viral infections alone in childhood. Active asthma should not be left untreated in the hope that it will resolve on its own, as this may lead to severe complications.
Symptoms Of Asthma In Children
Other than the abnormal respiratory rates, there are other symptoms, which can portray a clear picture of the child is suffering from asthma. What are they? Heres a list of the same for your perusal.
- If the child is suffering from frequent coughing during cough and cold.
- If you notice a whistling sound in your childs breaths.
- If the child finds trouble in breathing. Specifically, if he/she faces breathlessness or heavy breathing.
- If the child has chest congestion.
- If the child has difficulty in eating or swallowing.
- If you notice pale blue fingernails.
The above-mentioned are some of the symptoms which can indicate that a child is asthmatic. Here arises a question, can a child be born with Asthma? Well, pregnancy does not gift a child with breathing complexities. However, if a child is born prematurely, or the mother had developed any allergies during her pregnancy, the child born will be at a higher risk for asthma.
Also, if the mother is in a habit of smoking during pregnancy or herself is suffering from asthma, then it can cause asthma to the child born. But does asthma affect the life of a kid, other than the breathing issues? Lets delve a little deeper.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Blood Test For Eosinophilic Asthma