Is Breo Or Advair More Effective
Studies suggest that both medications are equally effective and safe for managing COPD and asthma.
Asthma: This study compared the two medications in people with asthma. Both Breo and Advair equally improved lung function. Patients had a similar number of symptom-free days, and neither medication had significantly more side effects than the other.
COPD: Similar to asthma, studies compared the two medications in patients with moderate to severe COPD and showed that both were equally effective in improving COPD symptoms.
Advair Diskus Fda Warning
WARNING: ASTHMA-RELATED DEATH
Long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonists , such as salmeterol, one of the active ingredients in ADVAIR DISKUS, increase the risk of asthma-related death. A US trial showed an increase in asthma-related deaths in patients receiving salmeterol . Currently available data are inadequate to determine whether concurrent use of inhaled corticosteroids or other long-term asthma control drugs mitigates the increased risk of asthma-related death from LABA. Available data from controlled clinical trials suggest that LABA increase the risk of asthma-related hospitalization in pediatric and adolescent patients.
When treating patients with asthma, only prescribe ADVAIR DISKUS for patients not adequately controlled on a long-term asthma control medication, such as an inhaled corticosteroid, or whose disease severity clearly warrants initiation of treatment with both an inhaled corticosteroid and a LABA. Once asthma control is achieved and maintained, assess the patient at regular intervals and step down therapy if possible without loss of asthma control and maintain the patient on a long-term asthma control medication, such as an inhaled corticosteroid. Do not use ADVAIR DISKUS for patients whose asthma is adequately controlled on low- or medium-dose inhaled corticosteroids.
Dry Powder Inhaler Step
Don’t Miss: What Happens If You Smoke Weed With Asthma
Where Should I Keep My Medicine
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C . Store inhaler with the mouthpiece down. Throw away the inhaler when the dose indicator reads 000, or after the expiration date, whichever comes first.
NOTE: This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider.
My Cat Has Feline Asthma And Bronchitis My Veterinarian Has Prescribed Inhaled Medications Why Does My Cat Need An Inhaler
Feline asthma and bronchitis cause narrowing and swelling of the airways in the lungs. Most cats with asthma will experience coughing, difficulty breathing, open-mouth panting, and other signs of respiratory distress. If left untreated, death may occur in severe cases.
“An inhaler can be a lifesaver for cats suffering from asthma.”
For cats with frequent and persistent symptoms, treatment involves administering corticosteroids, which reduce inflammation, and a bronchodilator that help relax the muscles in the lungs allowing the airways to open. Some bronchodilators also help to reduce inflammation and help clear mucus. For cats that have only occasional symptoms, the inhaler may only be needed when an asthma event occurs. Depending on the severity of the disease, an inhaler can be a lifesaver for cats suffering from asthma.
Recommended Reading: Air Humidifier For Asthma
What Should I Watch For While Using This Medicine
Visit your doctor for regular check ups. Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not get better. Do not use this medicine more than every 12 hours.
NEVER use this medicine for an acute asthma attack. You should use your short-acting rescue inhalers for this purpose. If your symptoms get worse or if you need your short-acting inhalers more often, call your doctor right away.
This medicine may increase your risk of getting an infection. Tell your doctor or health care professional if you are around anyone with measles or chickenpox, or if you develop sores or blisters that do not heal properly.
This medicine may increase blood sugar. Ask your healthcare provider if changes in diet or medicines are needed if you have diabetes.
What Side Effects Can This Medication Cause
The serious and the common side effects of the ADVAIR are the Oral thrush , throat irritation, hoarseness or change in the voice, muscle and bone pain, severe or intermittent headache, respiratory infections including the viral origin, bronchospasm (tightness or difficult in breathing, arrthymia, tremors, tachycardia, nervousness, pain in the eye and the worsening of the vision, fever and chills, even worsening of the asthma symptoms, excess secretion of the sputum, stabbing chest pain of unknown cause, whitening or discoloration in the lips and the tongue, dry mouth, nausea or vomiting, stuffy nose, urticaria like skin reactions, cough and sore throat.
Don’t Miss: Does Weight Gain Make Asthma Worse
What Other Drugs Could Interact With This Medication
There may be an interaction between salmeterol – fluticasone and any of the following:
- “azole” antifungals
- beta-blocker medications
- HIV non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors
- HIV protease inhibitors
- macrolide antibiotics
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- protein kinase inhibitors
- quinolone antibiotics
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- serotonin antagonists
- tricylic antidepressants
If you are taking any of these medications, speak with your doctor or pharmacist. Depending on your specific circumstances, your doctor may want you to:
- stop taking one of the medications,
- change one of the medications to another,
- change how you are taking one or both of the medications, or
- leave everything as is.
An interaction between two medications does not always mean that you must stop taking one of them. Speak to your doctor about how any drug interactions are being managed or should be managed.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 2021. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/drug/getdrug/Advair-Inhalation-Aerosol
What Side Effects May I Notice From Receiving This Medicine
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems right after inhaling your medicine
- chest pain
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever or chills
- nausea, vomiting
- signs and symptoms of high blood sugar such as being more thirsty or hungry or having to urinate more than normal. You may also feel very tired or have blurry vision.
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention :
- stuffy nose
This list may not describe all possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Asthma Without Inhaler
When Can Asthma Become Copd
Check out these statistics. About 90-95% of asthmatics can obtain good asthma control. Most asthmatics should have normal lung function between asthma attacks. This means their FEV1 should reach 80% or greater.2,3
But, this is not always the case. About 5-10% of asthmatics have what is called refractory asthma. This is asthma that does not improve with treatment. They continue to have airflow limitation and respiratory symptoms despite treatment. These asthmatics are now classified as having Severe Asthma.2,3
Some of these asthmatics may also be diagnosed with COPD.2
Drug Forms And Strengths
Advair comes in two forms: Advair Diskus and Advair HFA.
Advair Diskus is an inhalation powder. To use the inhaler, you breathe in deeply to take in the medication from the device. Advair Diskus is available in the following strengths:
- 100/50: 100 micrograms fluticasone propionate and 50 mcg salmeterol per puff
- 250/50: 250 mcg fluticasone propionate and 50 mcg salmeterol per puff
- 500/50: 500 mcg fluticasone propionate and 50 mcg salmeterol per puff
Each Advair Diskus inhaler contains 60 inhalations . The Diskus has a counter that tells you how many doses are left in the device.
Advair HFA is an inhalation aerosol. Its inhaler delivers a spray of medication when you press down on the top of the canister. Advair HFA is available in the following strengths:
- 45/21: 45 mcg fluticasone propionate and 21 mcg salmeterol per puff
- 115/21: 115 mcg fluticasone propionate and 21 mcg salmeterol per puff
- 230/21: 230 mcg fluticasone propionate and 21 mcg salmeterol per puff
Advair HFA inhalers can contain either 60 puffs or 120 puffs. The HFA inhaler has a counter that tells you how many doses are left in the device.
Don’t Miss: Can Allergies Cause Asthma Attacks
Side Effects Of Using Asthma Inhalers
Asthma inhalers can sometimes have side effects until your body gets used to the medication but this is not likely to last. If you are using your inhalers often, you are more likely to see side effects.
As preventer and reliever inhalers contain different medications, they may have slightly different side effects. Combination inhalers contain both medications, so you may have side effects from either of these medications.
The common side effects of reliever inhalers are:
- muscle cramps
You do not need to do anything if these side effects go away on their own. If they continue to bother you, speak to your doctor.
Rare side effects of reliever inhalers include:
- headaches that are worse than normal
- allergic reaction
If you get any of these side effects, call your doctor or 111 straight away. If you have a severe allergic reaction, go to A& E.
The common side effects of preventer inhalers are:
- dry or sore throat
- a change in voice
- oral thrush
Keep taking your preventer inhaler but speak to a doctor if these symptoms do not go away. Washing your mouth out with water after taking your inhaler and using a spacer can help with these side effects.
Rare side effects of preventer inhalers include:
What Form Does This Medication Come In
Advair 125A pressurized metered-dose inhaler consisting of an aluminum canister with a metering valve. Each canister is fitted into the supplied purple actuator/adaptor. A dust cap is fitted over the actuator’s mouthpiece when not in use. It delivers 25 µg salmeterol and 125 µg fluticasone propionate per actuation. Nonmedicinal ingredient: HFA-134a . It contains no excipients. Formats of 120 doses.
Advair 250A pressurized metered-dose inhaler consisting of an aluminum canister with a metering valve. Each canister is fitted into the supplied purple actuator/adaptor. A dust cap is fitted over the actuator’s mouthpiece when not in use. It delivers 25 µg salmeterol and 250 µg fluticasone propionate per actuation. Nonmedicinal ingredient: HFA-134a . It contains no excipients. Formats of 120 doses.
Read Also: Can I Get Ssi For Asthma
Things To Know About Advair
Do not use Advair if you have a severe allergy to milk protein.1-3
If you have heart problems or high blood pressure, your doctor will evaluate you to decide if Advair is safe for you.1-3
Advair can affect growth in children. Doctors will regularly monitor the growth of children taking Advair.1-3
Advair can suppress the immune system since it contains the steroid fluticasone. Tell your doctor if you have a tuberculosis infection or untreated bacterial, viral, or fungal infection before taking Advair.1-3
When you take Advair, get regular eye exams. Advair can increase the risk for glaucoma and cataracts.1-3
After using your Advair inhaler, rinse your mouth with water to help prevent a fungal infection of the mouth. Do not swallow the water.1-3
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using Advair. Advair should be used during pregnancy only if your doctor decides that the potential benefit outweighs any possible risks to your unborn baby.1-3
Advair may interact with certain drugs, including:1-3
- MAOI antidepressants or tricyclic antidepressants
What May Interact With This Medicine
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aminophylline or theophylline
- medicines for depression or emotional conditions
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care provider a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
Read Also: Stopping Wheezing Without Inhaler
Dry Powder Inhaler Quick Tips
- Do not open the device until you are ready to use it. Never open or swallow the capsule always use it with its matching DPI
- Do not shake the DPI.
- Do not use a holding chamber or spacer with a DPI.
- With most DPIs, the mouthpiece should be pointed up or held horizontal when using in order to not dump the medication after loading.
- Rinse your mouth after using, if instructed by your physician.
- Multi-dose devices have an indicator to alert you to the number of doses remaining, or when the device is almost empty.
- General instructions are that you should not allow your DPI to get wet. The mouthpiece should be wiped regularly with a clean, dry cloth.
- Inhaling the dry powder may cause some people to cough talk with your doctor if this happens.
COVID-19 Info Center >
How To Use Advair
You should take Advair according to your doctor or healthcare professionals instructions.
You will take either Advair Diskus or Advair HFA as inhalations of the medication. The manufacturer of both drugs provides instructions on how to use the Advair Diskus inhaler and how to use the Advair HFA inhaler.
Always rinse your mouth with water after taking a dose of Advair. After rinsing, spit out the water . Rinsing your mouth after an Advair dose will reduce your risk for thrush .
Also Check: Albuterol Therapeutic Effect
What Strengths Does Advair Come In
Each form of Advair comes in different strengths.
- Advair Diskus is available in strengths of:
- 100 micrograms fluticasone propionate/50 mcg salmeterol dry inhalation powder
- 250 mcg fluticasone propionate/50 mcg salmeterol dry inhalation powder
- 500 mcg fluticasone propionate/50mcg salmeterol dry inhalation powder
- Advair HFA is available in strengths of:
- 45 mcg fluticasone propionate/21 mcg salmeterol inhalation aerosol
- 115 mcg fluticasone propionate/21 mcg salmeterol inhalation aerosol
- 230 mcg fluticasone propionate/21 mcg salmeterol inhalation aerosol
Medicaid Coverage Of Guidelines
SPECIAL TOPIC â Volume 15 â September 6, 2018
Katherine Pruitt1 Annie Yu1 Barbara M. Kaplan, MPH1 Joy Hsu, MD, MS2 Pamela Collins, MPA, MSA2
Suggested citation for this article: Pruitt K, Yu A, Kaplan BM, Hsu J, Collins P. Medicaid Coverage of Guidelines-Based Asthma Care Across 50 States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, 2016-2017. Prev Chronic Dis 2018 15:180116. DOI: .
You May Like: Does Weight Gain Make Asthma Worse
How To Use Your Accuhaler
To get the most benefit, it is important to use the correct technique. Ask your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse to explain how to use your accuhaler. Here is some guidance:
Using your accuhaler
- Open: hold the accuhaler in one hand, and with the thumb of the other hand push the thumb grip away from you until you hear a click. This reveals the mouth piece.
- Load the dose: hold the inhaler in a horizontal position. Slide the lever away from you until you hear a click.
- Breath out: breathe out, away from the accuhaler. Do not blow directly into your device.
- Inhale your dose: place the mouth piece in your mouth and form a seal with your lips. Breathe in deeply and forcefully through your mouth. Remove the accuhaler and hold your breath for up to 10 seconds. If you need another dose, wait for 30 seconds and then repeat the process
- Close: the inhaler by sliding the thumb grip towards you.
Cleaning and storing your accuhaler: wipe the mouthpiece with a clean dry tissue. Do not wash the mouthpiece or allow it to get wet when cleaning. Close the device when not in use. When to start a new accuhaler: there is a window on the side of the accuhaler called a dose counter. When it turns red it is time to get a new accuhaler.
Drug Forms And Administration
Advair Diskus and Wixela Inhub contain the same two active drugs: fluticasone propionate and salmeterol. Theyre also both inhalation powders.
Both Advair Diskus and Wixela Inhub are available in the same micrograms strengths:
- 100 mcg of fluticasone propionate/50 mcg of salmeterol
- 250 mcg of fluticasone propionate/50 mcg of salmeterol
- 500 mcg of fluticasone propionate/50 mcg of salmeterol
Also Check: Does Weight Gain Make Asthma Worse
Does Medicare Cover Advair
Yes! 94% of Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Part D plans cover Advair.1
- Medicare Advantage plans that offer prescription drug coverage are called Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans . Most Medicare Advantage beneficiaries are enrolled in MA-PDs.2
- Medicare prescription drugs plans each have their own formulary, or drug list, that details what prescription drugs are covered by the plan and how they are covered.
Drug coverage may vary based on plan availability. You may be able to find Medicare Advantage plan options in your area that cover Advair.
Find Medicare Advantage plans with drug coverage
Or call 1-800-557-6059TTY Users: 711 24/7 to speak with a licensed insurance agent.
You can also compare Part D prescription drug plans available where you live and enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan online when you visit MyRxPlans.com.
Recommended Reading: How To Prevent Asthma Attacks