How To Handle Asthma In The Winter
What can you do to ease symptoms if winter weather affects your asthma?
- Limit outdoor exercise. Work out at home or in the gym.
- Wear a scarf and use it to warm the air youre breathing.
- Use humidifiers in your home. Keep them free of mold.
- Wash hands frequently. Washing with soap for 20 seconds or using hand sanitizer while out can keep winter illnesses at bay.
- Be conscious of your hands. Keep them away from your face and eyes to avoid spreading germs.
- Get the flu vaccine in early fall.
- Have an Asthma Action Plan in place. Know what to do in case of a flare-up.
- Limit time with pets if youre allergic to pet dander. Keep your bedroom pet-free.
- If dust mites and mold trigger your symptoms, keep your home cool and dry to inhibit their growth.
- Clean and replace filters in your heating and cooling air ducts. Make sure filters are cleaned at the start of every season. Check periodically to keep indoor air quality optimal.
How Do I Get A Free Prescription
You are likely eligible to receive prescriptions from the Free Clinic Pharmacy if:
- You are a current Charlottesville Free Clinic patient
- You have given us proof of income and current tax holdings
Call the pharmacy to determine your eligibility: .
Manufacturer Copay Assistance Cards
Many name brand drugs manufacturers have created programs to entice patients to try and stay on their medications even if their copays through their insurance is very high. The programs work like a secondary insurance that pays for most or all of the remaining copay after your insurance is applied.
These programs are drug specific and can be found by visiting the drugs website online or googling the drugs name with the phrase copay card.
Also Check: Breathing Treatments Side Effects
Vaccine Distribution In Canada
As part of the Canadian Thoracic Societys COVID-19 Respiratory Roundtable panel representing Canadians living with lung disease, Asthma Canada signed a joint statement titled Prioritization of Canadians with Lung Disease in COVID-19 Vaccination Rollout. Alongside other lung health organizations, Asthma Canada is urging federal, provincial and territorial governments to prioritize people living with lung disease who are at higher risk for more serious COVID-19 complications in the vaccination rollout. From Canadians living with a lung disease such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease , cystic fibrosis, lung cancer, pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, and pre- and post-lung transplant, there is widespread concern regarding when in the vaccine rollout in the provinces and territories they will have the opportunity to receive the vaccine.
We will continue to advocate for our community on this subject and will share more information as it becomes available.
Free Prescriptions For Certain Medical Conditions
People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions.
Medical exemption certificates are credit-card-size cards. They are issued if you have:
- cancer, including the effects of cancer or the effects of current or previous cancer treatment
- a permanent fistula requiring continuous surgical dressing or an appliance
- a form of hypoadrenalism for which specific substitution therapy is essential
- diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
- diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
Find out more about medical exemption certificates.
Don’t Miss: What Molecules Are Affected By Asthma
What Pharmacies Offer Free Medications
Many grocery chain pharmacies offer free medications including Meijer, Publix, Kroger, Family Fare, Sams Club, and more. Some give them away without any strings attached , while others require a paid membership. Ill give you the details of what is free at each location and their requirements below.
Information About The Cost Of Dupixent
The amount you pay for DUPIXENT will largely depend on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you have prescription drug insurance
- The type of insurance you have
- Whether your insurance provider considers the medication to be preferred or not preferred
- Whether youve met your deductible
Considering these factors, 2 people could pay very different prices for exactly the same prescription medication.
Use the DUPIXENT Cost and Coverage Tool below for more information.
It is recommended to speak with your insurance provider for any outstanding questions you may have about the cost or dispensing of DUPIXENT because they know the full details of your plan.
Select your current prescription insurance to see possible cost and coverage
You May Like: Eos Levels In Blood
Is Albuterol A Steroid
No, albuterol does not contain any steroids. It is a sympathomimetic bronchodilator and works to relax the muscles in the airway that tighten during an asthma attack.
Inhaled corticosteroids are another type of inhaler that contain steroids and are often used as a preventative treatment.Treatment of asthma and COPD can be complex and require using several medications in combination.
What You Need To Know About Your Medicines
Talk with your doctor, nurse, or other healthcare provider before starting a new medicine. Go over your allergies and any problems you have had with other medicines, such as rashes, trouble breathing, indigestion, dizziness, or mood changes.
You will also want to find out whether youll need to change or stop taking any of your other prescriptions or over-the-counter drugs while using this new medicine. Mixing some drugs can cause unpleasant and sometimes serious problems. For instance, it is dangerous to use aspirin when taking a blood-thinning medicine.
Because of this, it is important to keep a list of all prescription drugs and over-the-counter remedies you take. Print and fill out the Tracking Your Medications: Worksheet to help you keep track of your medications.
When starting a new medication, make sure to write down the name of the drug and why its being prescribed for you. Also, make note of any special instructions for how to take the medicine.
You May Like: What Is The Blood Test For Eosinophilic Asthma
Where Can I Purchase Ventolin
Once you have a prescription for Ventolin you can have it fulfilled at any pharmacy. If you purchase it from a pharmacy with an NHS prescription, you will pay the standard levy. If you are entitled to free treatment on the NHS, you wont have to pay anything.
Private pharmacies also offer Ventolin to buy. Some online pharmacies, such as ours, provide a doctor consultation facility, where you can have your prescription renewed by a doctor, and then dispensed at a UK pharmacy and delivered to you.
When you use online services, you will still be required to answer several questions about your general health. When you order asthma inhalers using our UK service, it is our policy to inform your GP that you are ordering treatment online, so that they are kept up-to-date regarding your asthma care.
Refunds Of Prescription Charges
If you need to pay prescription charges before your medical exemption certificate arrives, you can get a refund as long as:
- you ask for an FP57 refund receipt when you pay
- the start date of your medical exemption certificate is the same or earlier than the date you pay for your prescription
You must claim your refund within three months of paying.
The FP57 refund receipt tells you what to do.
Recommended Reading: Can A Humidifier Help With Asthma
Cold Weather And Asthma
Cold weather is a common trigger for asthma symptoms.
There are things you can do to help control your symptoms in the cold:
- carry your reliever inhaler with you at all times and keep taking your regular preventer inhaler as prescribed
- if you need to use your inhaler more than usual, speak to your doctor about reviewing your treatment
- keep warm and dry wear gloves, a scarf and a hat, and carry an umbrella
- wrap a scarf loosely over your nose and mouth this will help warm up the air before you breathe it
- try breathing in through your nose instead of your mouth your nose warms the air as you breathe
How Do I Know If Other Medicines Im Taking Are Making My Asthma Worse
Any medicine can cause wheezing or shortness of breath if youre allergic to it. If you notice that your asthma gets worse every time you take a certain medicine, tell your doctor as soon as possible. If you use a peak flow meter to check your asthma, tell your doctor if you see changes in your peak flow readings after you take a certain medicine. Your doctor can decide whether your medicine should be changed.
Don’t Miss: Does Albuterol Contain Steroids
Keep Your Distance From Kitty Litter
Pets are a common source of allergens cats more than dogs. Although the best asthma relief advice might be to find your furry friend another loving home, few people want to make that change. So, to live with a cat and be as wheeze-free as possible, consider making some key changes. Many people are allergic to cat urine, says Lee, so keep the litter box in a remote area of your home and put someone else in charge of emptying it. Cat dander and cat saliva also often provoke asthma reactions. When a cat licks and cleans itself, particles of saliva float on air currents for six to eight hours. To limit dander, use a dry cat shampoo weekly to help remove excess dander from the cat. That way, itâs less likely to stir up around the house.
Thunderstorms And Extreme Weather Can Be A Threat To Asthma Control
In hot summer conditions, extreme weather such as thunderstorms become more prevalent. Experts arent entirely sure why but have identified that such weather conditions can trigger asthma attacks, sometimes severe.
It may be the airflow patterns during thunderstorms that cause this effect, rather than electrical activity such as thunder and lightning. It seems likely that these airflow patterns could result in more concentrated levels of pollen and mold, which could be one explanation for the increase in asthma attacks during thunderstorms.
Regardless of the reason, extreme weather definitely has had an impact on some of us asthmatics.
Recommended Reading: Can You Join The Army If You Have Asthma
How Long Does A Medical Exemption Card Last
When your form has been received and approved, your medical exemption certificate will be active for five years before it needs to be renewed. Its your responsibility to keep track of how long your certificate has been active for, although the NHS should send you a reminder before your five years have lapsed. If you continue to claim free prescriptions after your certificate has expired then you may be faced with a fine.
How Do I Monitor My Daily Asthma Symptoms
National asthma guidelines suggest using a daily symptom diary such as Allergy & Asthma Networks AsthmaTracker to keep track of symptoms, peak expiratory flow rates and medications used.
What is an AsthmaTracker?
The AsthmaTracker can help your track how well your symptoms respond to your treatment plan. By writing down your symptoms, peak expiratory flow rate and medication use each day, youll notice a pattern to your symptoms and develop strategies to stop the symptoms before they can stop you.
What is a peak flow meter?
A peak flow meter is a handheld device that measures the peak expiratory flow rate , or how much air you can forcibly push out of your lungs at a particular time.
Asthma Storylines an app for managing asthma
The free Asthma Storylines app is a self-care tool for managing asthma. Track symptoms, learn more about daily patterns and record topics to discuss with your healthcare team.
Don’t Miss: Can You Join The Army If You Have Asthma
Why Humidity And Cold Air Trigger Asthma
Every asthmatic should be aware that both humidity and cold air are two very common asthma triggers. So why is this? What can you do about it?
Its been common wisdom for years that a cool mist humidifier helps with croup, inflammation and narrowing of a childs airways. Put a croupy kid in the hot and steamy bathroom and the swelling gets better.
Another method that often works for croup is taking the child outside in the cold winter air. This is why many times when a parent decides to take the child to the hospital, in the dead of winter, the child is fine by the time they arrive in the emergency room.
This is true for croup, so it was also theorized in past decades that it must also be true for asthma attacks. Most doctors are aware of this fallacy. In fact, doctors recognize that both cold air and humidity can actually trigger an asthma attack.
When I was little boy way back in the 1970s, my pediatrician recommended my parents have me sit in the hot steamy bathroom when I was having trouble breathing. It was also recommended I have a humidifier in my room.
Both of these made my asthma worse, not better. Yet I was a kid, so how was I to tell my parents that? My doctor and parents thought they were doing something good, yet their wisdom was flawed .
I wrote a post before how low and high humidity can trigger asthma. Studies show that a humidity of 50 percent or greater may lead to a greater incidence of asthma trouble.
Two common theories for this are:
Video: Pay For My Heating Or My Medicine
In conjunction with the Royal College of Nursing, the Association of Respiratory Nurse Specialists and Primary Care Respiratory Society UK, Asthma UK have conducted a survey of over 750 healthcare professionals to understand their views of asthma prescription charges.
The key findings from the survey of healthcare professionals revealed:
- 98% think the current medical exemptions list should be reviewed
- 57% have had patients who have had an asthma attack or needed emergency care because their patient skipped their medication
- 48% reported patients missing an asthma appointment because they were worried about the cost of the medicines they might be prescribed
This report makes for a sobering read. It is unthinkable that people in England are risking their health and potentially their lives because they cannot afford their medication. There is absolutely no justification for the current prescription charges system to continue as it is people with asthma are being discriminated against, which is a blatant breach of ethical principles. This report conveys a powerful message which should act as a call to action for those who can make change happen. We now need politicians and policy makers to step up to the mark and address our findings as a matter of urgency. Beverley Bostock, Nurse Practitioner who sat on the National Review of Asthma Deaths and Asthma Lead for the Association of Respiratory Nurse Specialists
Read Also: Fluticasone Side Effects Anxiety
How Is This Medicine Best Taken
Use Vicks Sinex ) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Vicks Sinex ) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes .
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
- Some products may have different ways to prime the pump. Some pumps may also need to be primed if not used for different periods of time. Follow how and when to prime as you have been told.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Do not tilt your head back before using Vicks Sinex ).
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Vicks Sinex ) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Vicks Sinex ) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
Exercise Can Trigger Asthma
Rapidly breathing in air dries inspired air as it moves through the upper airways, which ultimately dries the airway, which then releases histamine that can increase inflammation of the air passages in your lungs. This then leads to bronchospasm. The fact runners tend to breathe through their mouths only exacerbates this problem because the nose is a better humidifier than the mouth.
You May Like: What Happens If You Smoke Weed With Asthma
How Can A Pharmacist Help
A pharmacist can answer many of your questions about prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Try to have all your prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy so your records are in one place. This will help alert the pharmacist if a new drug might cause a problem with something else you are taking. If youre not able to use just one pharmacy, show the pharmacist at each pharmacy your list of medicines and over-the-counter drugs when you drop off your prescription.
When you have a prescription filled:
- Tell the pharmacist if you have trouble swallowing pills. There may be liquid medicine available. Do not chew, break, or crush tablets without first finding out if the drug will still work.
- Make sure you can read and understand the name of the medicine as well as the directions on the container and on the color-coded warning stickers on the bottle. If the label is hard to read, ask your pharmacist to use larger type.
- Check that you can open the container. If not, ask the pharmacist to put your medicines in bottles that are easier to open.
- Ask about special instructions on where to store a medicine. For example, should it be kept in the refrigerator or in a dry place?
- Check the label on your medicine before leaving the pharmacy. It should have your name on it and the directions given by your doctor. If it doesnt, dont take it, and talk with the pharmacist.
Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about the written information that comes with your prescription.